Our privacy policy has changed.

View policy


Gift Aid: You can help even more people out of homelessness

Your donations are already life-changing. You can make them go even further through Gift Aid.

By saying “Yes” to Gift Aid you can help even more people leave homelessness behind - at no extra cost to you.

Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows charities to reclaim the tax that has already been paid on donations from UK taxpayers. If you choose to Gift Aid, the government will add an extra 25p to every £1 you give to Crisis.

Last year supporters helped Crisis raise £4.8 million through Gift Aid alone. It’s a really simple and effective way to give, both for you and for Crisis.

If you would like to Gift Aid your donations, you can:

If there’s anything we can help with, please contact Supporter Supporter Services on 08000 38 48 38 9am to 5pm or at supporter.helpline@crisis.org.uk

Got any questions? See our FAQs.

Your information

Please select an option below:

I am a UK taxpayer and I confirm that this is my own personal donation* and not from a company nor the proceeds of a collection. I would like Crisis to treat this donation and any donations I make in the future and have made in the past 4 years as Gift Aid donations, until I notify you otherwise. With this declaration, Crisis can reclaim 25p of tax on every £1 that I give. I understand that if I pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all my donations in that tax year, it is my responsibility to pay any difference.

No, I am not eligible to Gift Aid my donations.

Please remember we need your full name and home address to allow us to claim Gift Aid.

* A personal donation is from one individual and not a collection or cumulative gift.

We will use your email address to send you an acknowledgement of your Gift Aid declaration.

Crisis will only use this information to communicate with you about your Gift Aid declaration. Your current contact consent with us will remain the same. If you have any queries about your support, would like to change the way we communicate with you, or have other comments or a complaint, please phone 08000 38 48 38 or email supporter.helpline@crisis.org.uk

Your questions answered

Your Gift Aid declaration will cover your future donations and also donations you have made for the past four years. If you are unable to or don’t want to Gift Aid donations for all or some of the previous four years, please contact us on 08000 38 48 38 to let us know.

In addition to your donations, you might support us in other ways, for example:

  • Buying raffle tickets
  • Paying an entry fee for an event
  • Buying something in one of our shops or cafés.

These payments are not eligible for Gift Aid.

Certain donations are also not eligible, as the tax has already been accounted for, for example:

  • Donations from a charity account such as Charities Aid Foundation (CAF)
  • Donations through payroll giving
  • Gifts from a legacy.

Supporting Crisis in one of these ways doesn’t stop you making a Gift Aid declaration. If you do so, we can claim Gift Aid on your donations which do qualify.

If you stop paying tax, please let us know as soon as possible and we will cancel the Gift Aid declaration for you and make sure that we do not claim tax on any future gifts you may make. You can do this by completing the online form here and ticking “No” or calling us on 08000 38 48 38. You can cancel your declaration at any time.

Please also let us know if your name or address changes so we can update our records.

Of course, if you were previously not able to Gift Aid and would now like to, please use the online form here to sign up or contact us on 08000 38 48 38 to let us know.

Yes. We would need your personal details separately for our records. Please contact us on 08000 38 48 38 if you would like to Gift Aid your joint donations. If you are not a taxpayer but you make donations jointly with your partner who is a taxpayer, we will need your partner’s details and a Gift Aid declaration from your partner.

If you are both taxpayers, we will need Gift Aid declarations from both of you. Please also let us know what amount of the donation is made by each of you. In either case, the donations also need to come from a bank account that has the taxpayer or both taxpayers’ name/s on it.

If you’re a pensioner, you may still be paying tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or capital gains tax if you sell property or shares. You can still Gift Aid if you have paid enough tax during the tax year to cover the amount that charities will claim on all your donations in that year.

You can still Gift Aid your donations if you are self-employed as long as you have paid enough tax during the tax year to cover the amount that charities will claim on all your donations in that year.

We can only claim back tax at the basic rate, but that is still worth 25% extra on your donations to us and would make a big difference.

If you pay higher rate tax, you can claim the difference between the higher rate of tax and the basic rate of tax on your donation. We’d suggest speaking to your accountant if you’d like to do this.