Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are determined to end homelessness. We do it person by person and by influencing policies to ensure everyone has a place to call home.
Homelessness is devastating, leaving people vulnerable and isolated.
Crisis offers ground breaking housing, health, education and employment services. We work with thousands of homeless people across the UK every year. We are determined campaigners. We draw on our research, partnerships and years of experience of working directly with homeless people to deliver change and a vision to end homelessness for good.
You will contribute to ending homelessness by
The Crisis shops (Shop from Crisis) primarily sell donated goods sourced from the community.
Crisis works with the local communities and volunteers to develop shops that customers like and that engages people with the Crisis mission and advocate for homeless people across the UK.
They also provide opportunities for Crisis members to gain work experience in various aspects of retail, build self-confidence, sell arts and crafts and be active in the community in which they live.
The shops will extend the reach of the Crisis brand and directly support political and fundraising campaigns against homelessness.
You will be welcoming and helpful to our customers in the shop. You will also be assisting the shop manager with various tasks and duties in order to run the shop effectively.
What you will gain
- Workplace experience in a national organisation
- The opportunity to share existing or develop new skills in a friendly and supportive environment
- A platform for building confidence
- Induction to the role and on Crisis as an organisation
- Being part of a dynamic team
- Support and training to develop retail and customer service skills
- References for prospective employers (for character reference min. 3 months of volunteering)
- Carry out various retail tasks including tagging, steaming, visual merchandising, customer service and operating a till in a shop environment
- Provide courteous and helpful customer service
- Work cooperatively and with respect for fellow team members
- Understand and accept responsibility to uphold Health and Safety procedure
Who we are looking for
- Non-judgmental, patient and friendly
- Good time-keeping and reliability
- Comfortable talking to customers or prior customer service experience
- Flexibility in terms of the tasks you are asked to undertake
- To be able to work collaboratively with others and as part of a team
- Ability to follow instructions and take initiative when required
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Be positive, productive and have a passion to help end homelessness
- Knowledge of fashion trends in clothing and household goods would be useful
- Ideally to have interest or experience of working in a retail environment
Please note this opportunity is available for over 18s
We expect volunteers to comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times.
- Travel and lunch expenses are reimbursed where appropriate
- We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and from people with disabilities