Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are committed to ending homelessness.
Every day we see the devastating impact homelessness has on people's lives. Every year we work side by side thousands of homeless people to help them rebuild their lives and leave homelessness behind for good. We do this at Crisis Skylight Oxford through providing education, training and support with housing, employment and health.
We know that homelessness is not inevitable. We know that together we can end it.
Crisis Skylight Oxford offers Open Access Computer Drop-In sessions, providing clients with access to computers and the internet for everyday use or personal learning. Tutor support and guidance is on hand for help with using computers or finding something to do such as learning to touch type, using the internet, practising for a driving test or CSCS card. We’re looking for a volunteer who can help support clients with using computers as well as help the tutor manage sessions.
What you will gain
- An opportunity to be part of a friendly team who are committed to ending homelessness and the knowledge that your role is making a difference to our members lives
- Gain experience communicating with people from diverse backgrounds and develop new and existing skills within an adult learning environment
- Access to support as and when required including regular supervisions with a relevant supervisor
- A way to learn more about homelessness and the charity sector through a structured induction
- Travel and lunch expenses reimbursed where appropriate
Core tasks and what you will achieve
- Assisting the tutor in delivering sessions and keeping clients focussed, taking direction from the tutor on how best to support the class
- Providing support to individual members within the group to help them achieve their learning objectives, encouraging them to develop their skills and confidence
- Supporting the tutor with preparation of classroom resources
- Maintaining the classroom environment during class times as well as packing away at the end
- Assisting clients with the completion of any relevant paperwork, where requested by the tutor
Who we are looking for
- Commitment to learning and an interest in the subject. Specific subject knowledge / experience may be necessary depending on the topic
- Interpersonal communication skills with a particular focus on listening
- Good time-keeping and reliability
- Non-judgmental, patient and friendly
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Be positive, productive and have a passion to help end homelessness
All Crisis volunteers are asked to:
• Comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times
• To maintain the privacy and confidentiality of all accessible information about members and the organisation
• Be positive, productive and have the passion to help end homelessness